Princeton,NJ/ 360prwire/ December 11/
IOT is basically a newly formed technology which is entangled with our lives in multiple ways and the amalgamation of IoT with 3D printing can make several parts of our lives easier and simpler. The combination of additive manufacturing with IoT has so much potential that it can create dynamic technical products which would take human activities to some other level.
What is an IoT?
IoT works on the concept of working on shared data. In this process two devices are connected, and this connection can be formed using sensors, electronic parts, electronic gadgets, software etc. With the help of an IoT data can be shared between two objects/devices without any human involvement. The multi-dynamic working abilities of IoT has grabbed a lot of attention and it is believed that over the next few years it is going to be used for over 2.5 billion devices.
Why look at the IoT and 3D printing together?
3D Printing is becoming increasingly popular in the automotive, electronics, and healthcare industries, to name a few, and the IoT can play an important role in ensuring quality control by connecting big data analytics to online 3D printing services through the strategic use of embedded sensors.
The IoT involves a constantly growing number of sensors and devices gathering every possible bit of data about human behavior and interaction and allowing businesses to gather information about how their products behave and use it to understand and predict future behaviors.
By placing sensors to collect and analyze manufacturing information to detect production problems in real time, the technology can identify factors such as temperature and structural integrity that help improve the quality of output coming from the manufacturing floor. This is something that is already being applied by many companies in the aerospace industry.
Combining the two revolutions – digital manufacturing and big data – is starting to equip a multitude of industries with tools that can revolutionize the way processes are monitored, analyzed, and improved to enhance the quality of products.
What can IoT do for Additive Manufacturing?
3D printing is at a place where it is deeply involved with various industries. More companies are starting to see the power that online 3D printing service allows and have started creating 3D printers that are IoT compatible. The same attributes that our widely known smart devices possess are being integrated into these new smart 3D printers and smart factories.
Here are a few use cases.
Greatly increased access to data for improving efficiency in factories
There is an immense amount of data that is gathered from smart devices. Applications can track usage statistics to make a user’s experience better like notifying a user about demand. This can reduce overall costs or assist with the management of inventory. This can even be expanded into supply chain management since a user would be able to adjust overall distribution based on weather conditions, driver availability, or time of the year.
Security in the production process and data itself
Having IoT enabled 3D printers and smart factories allows for preventative maintenance. The sensors in the machines can notify a user when a part on the line is not up to standard which prevents time being wasted or potential repercussions for sending out a bad product. It can also warn a person when a machine is close to breaking down or needs maintenance.
As for the data that is being transferred across a network. Once again, the monitoring properties that come with IoT can enable users to know where their data is going and when something has changed. Privileges can also be configured to specific personnel for added layers of security.
Automation of certain processes
IoT takes great advantage of machine learning because of the data that is gathered. If you have the knowledge that was gathered from the sensors, having connected machines within the factory can even allow for around-the clock production if it is needed.
Role of 3D Printing in IoT
Smart Devices for Home
Can we imagine a technology which can provide smart devices at a lower cost? So, plastic made objects can be used as wireless connected smart devices of IoT using online 3D printing service.
Just imagine if you could attach a 3D printed sensor to your bottles which can send you data when the bottle is low and automatically refills using a smart platform of IoT technology. For instance, a complete house can be built using online 3D printing India. Basically, it is a remarkable idea to provide a home to homeless people in the country. It’s a very fast process.
- Printed Wi-Fi allows 3D printed plastic objects to send data wirelessly to any Wi-Fi receiver like your smartphone using Wi-Fi from any Wi-Fi router.
- Printed anemometer to measure wind speed.
- A printed flow meter can measure water speed.
- Not only that, input widgets can also be made including buttons and sliders.
- Automatic smart plant pots can be made by combining IoT and online 3D printing services together. The sensors used in this automated system will store the water and soil moisture sensor will monitor the time of watering and the integrated pump will water the plant.
- 3D printed hidden self-edge clock which is actually a 3D printed self in which there is a hidden digital clock using IoT.
- Smart table lamps can switch on the lamp when it is needed and turn it off when it is not required.
Prototyping New Devices
Basically, when it comes to prototyping, online 3D printing service leaves its significant use. So, it is most valuable for mass production, some of its most convenient uses are actually in experimenting with designs. So, to get them right before mass production. 3D printing prototype for the car racing industry which involves different manufacturing tools and machinery for a lot of functional tests.
- 3D printed Eyewear where online 3D Printing India with IoT gives a fast production process. Moreover, the additive manufacturing used here is an excellent idea for actual production.
- 3D Printing Prosthetic Arm Prototype which is highly used nowadays using the additive technology of online 3D printing service and IoT. For instance, it’s a blessing in the medical industry as well.
3D printing in Connected Healthcare
Basically, online 3D printing India, when combined with connected healthcare, impacts on the growth of industry, economy, reduces human effort as well as a blessing to mankind.
- Researchers and engineers together work on both online 3D printing service and IoT technology. They give shape to the medical equipment using “bio-ink“. They have innovated human cells and tissues.
- Similarly, doctors have invented that future pills will be personalized, and 3D printed. Moreover, doctors will soon be able to receive the patient’s health telemetry remotely using advanced health wearable devices of IoT technology. Then, doctors will treat according to the readings.
- We can see an explosion of bespoke medication, each one chemically formulated and portioned just right for each patient based on their age and their condition is.
- Using bio-printing additive technology and IoT devices it is possible to make 3D printed skin or jaws and drug testing. Besides, it is also possible to make animal prosthetics to give them a better life.
The right enclosures for IoT with the help of 3D printing
3D printing is definitely the best choice when it comes to providing enclosures to an electronic device as it helps in making enclosures which perfectly fits a device.
On the other hand, we know that these devices undergo multiple changes which later hampers the structure and size of the enclosure, in such cases injection molding isn’t much useful as it cannot accommodate so many modifications, but additive manufacturing can work upon those multiple modifications and create an enclosure which perfectly fits the device, and we need not worry about the additional costs or expenses as 3D printing reduces both.
The other major advantage of using online 3D printing India in making such devices is that specific designs can be inserted into the printers and this reduces the production time drastically.
Building custom made products under the roof of IoT and 3D printing
As we know that with the help of IOT we collect some data from devices and this data can be utilized in various ways. Combining this data with online 3D printing service can help to create customized goods with low manufacturing cost. For example, if an IOT is linked between the feet of a person riding the bicycle and the bicycle itself, then using the data a customized bicycle can be made which would aid the cycling abilities of the person riding on it.
Similarly, a cricket bat can be made for a cricketer in such a way that it aids the batting skills of the batsman and helps him yield the best results.
3D printing of IoT devices without electronics
With the onset of the advanced 3D printing technology, it is becoming possible to make electronic devices, circuits, and other parts, using online 3D printing service in making electronic goods not only speeds up the manufacturing process but also considerably reduces the expense on the raw materials.
The usage of 3D printing eliminates the rigid issues that are faced while making 2-D circuit boards, making the 3D printed circuit boards enables flexibility in shape, size, and structure. It is believed that after 20-30 years all the heavy and costly silicon circuit boards will be replaced by light weight plastic circuit boards made using 3D printing as the cost required in manufacturing the silicon circuit board with lithography begins from around 1.5 million dollars whereas the 3D printed plastic circuit board costs around 500,000 dollars.
Some of the major advantages we can get by combining IoT with online 3D printing India –
- Micro manufacturing the smart sensors- wireless sensors already dominate IOT and the usage of the smart sensors that are made by combining data opted from IOT and designed and manufactured using 3D printing will dominate all smart home devices made in the future.
- The prototyping of new devices- prototyping of goods not only reduces time and efforts and helps in mass production but also opens doors for experimentation.
- Making smart devices- the smart devices- made using 3D printing will shape the lifestyle of the upcoming human race. Connecting the dots between 3D printing and IOT one can build devices which cater to multiple needs.
Why Should 3D Printing Technology be Used in IoT?
Basically, in the past if we prototype any IoT devices we used the ready-made plastic box. It was important to fit the device. Then we use glue to make it stable inside the box. So, it was too difficult to make such a box which can fit. In order to remove this difficulty 3D printing came into the picture. Hence, there are a few reasons why we use online 3D printing service in our projects today.
- Hide the Electronics: Basically, to cover up the naked electronics in any IoT device 3D printing is used. Plastic case covers the electronic device. So, it looks fancier and smarter.
- Make Functional Prototype: The 3D printed case makes the prototype deploy easily and quickly. By adding holes and crews will allow the prototype to attach quickly. Mostly, IoT products include batteries. So, a 3D printed battery holder can easily place them.
- Make Easier to Sell: The main purpose of the IoT prototype is to sell. The customers want to feel the products by their own hands. 3D printing allows to design a good-looking product
- Make Robust: The practical reasons are to make robust products. The IoT products deploy outdoors. Using 3D printing one can make his/her products robust. There is no worry about electronic short-circuit or falling out of batteries. In addition, no worries about heating up of products.
Future: IoT and 3D = Industry 4.0
“Industry 4.0“- what does it sound like? Like a tycoon-game, right? But this is soon going to be the biggest shift in the upcoming future. Industry 4.0 is modernizing manufacturing and boosting western industrial competitiveness. The manufacturing it offers can collect, analyze, and act on immense stockpiles of data. Then, it sets those actions in motion with highly efficient, automated robotics. As a result, we get a higher quality product with a lower operating expense. It is a new way of human-machine interaction.
Combined 3D printing and IoT is shaping our imaginations. It makes companies more efficient. Moreover, it looks like the industrial revolution. In conclusion, it is strengthening the future market
The post IoT and 3D Printing – A creative manufacturing revolution appeared first on 360PRWire.