Driving in winter road conditions or the snow can be a challenging task. Whether it is sleet, ice, or snow, winter weather conditions can be extremely dangerous, and not being careful enough can lead to a car accident. If you have been involved in a car accident, immediately reach out to a Houston Car Accident Attorney and figure out your legal rights.
What should you include in a winter driving kit?
It is important to ensure that you have a winter driving kit in the car before you even start driving. If your winter driving kit is well stocked, you can handle just about any emergency. Some things to include in your winter driving kits are:
- Properly fitting tire chains.
- Help signs such as “call the police” or brightly colored banners.
- A bag of sand or salt, even some kinds of kitty litter, can be useful.
- Road maps.
- Tow rope.
- Matches and emergency candles. Make sure you only use these with the windows open to prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide.
- Traction mats.
- Emergency food supplies and water.
- Snow shovel.
- A first aid kit.
- Snow brush.
- Extra clothing, as well as hats and warm footwear.
- Ice scraper.
- A blanket.
- Booster cables.
- A flashlight and extra batteries.
- Warning devices such as flares or emergency lights.
- Roll of paper towels.
- Fuel line de-icer – like methanol, also called methyl hydrate or methyl alcohol.
- Extra windshield wiper fluid that works in sub-freezing temperatures.
Tips for driving safely in the winter road conditions
Exercising caution and being safe on the rods in the winter can help you avoid car accidents. Some tips to stay safe while driving in winter road conditions are:
- Stay in your lane
Switching lanes suddenly is always dangerous, but it can be even more so on a slippery road. Try to avoid switching lanes as much as possible.
- Use your indicators
Make sure to always use your indicators before making a turn.
- Keep your windows and windshield defrosted.
Defrost your windows and windshield to see the road and the vehicles around you.
- Avoid speeding
It can be extremely difficult to control your car on a slippery road, especially at high speed. Avoid overspeeding, as it can make your car out of control.
Speak to an attorney today.
If you have been involved in a car accident, you need immediate legal help to ensure that you get compensation for your damages. Do not waste any time; reach out to an experienced car accident attorney today and get the professional help you deserve.