Pooches can sometimes have stinky breath, and while it may not be the most pleasant thing to deal with, it’s important to understand that there are a few different things that could be causing it.
In this article, we’ll share some tips on how to get rid of dog bad breath with home remedies, as well as offer some general advice on keeping your pup’s mouth healthy.
What causes bad breath in dogs?
Canines have bacteria in their mouths, just like humans do. When these bacteria mix with food particles and other debris, they can cause bad breath. Poor dental hygiene is one of the most common causes of bad breath in dogs, but it isn’t the only one. Other potential causes include:
In dogs, gum disease is usually caused by plaque and tartar build-up. This can lead to inflammation, pain, and eventually, tooth loss. Gum disease is more common in some breeds than others, and it’s important to brush your dog’s teeth regularly to help prevent it.
As your dog ages, they may also develop gum disease due to a decrease in saliva production. This can make it harder for the mouth to naturally clean itself, so it’s important to be extra diligent about dental care as your dog gets older.
Bacterial infections, viral infections, and yeast infections can all cause bad breath in dogs. These infections can affect the gums, teeth, or even the throat and nose. If your dog’s breath smells particularly foul, it’s important to have them seen by a vet, as they may need antibiotics or other treatment.
Another possible cause of bad breath in dogs is kidney disease. When the kidneys aren’t functioning properly, they can’t filter out toxins from the blood as they normally would. These toxins build up in the body and are eventually expelled through the breath, causing it to smell bad.
Kidney disease can progress quickly, so if you notice a change in your dog’s breath, it’s important to have them seen by a vet as soon as possible.
Just like kidney disease, liver disease can cause bad breath in dogs because of the build-up of toxins in the body. Liver disease is often accompanied by other symptoms, such as appetite loss, weight loss, yellowing of the dog’s skin and vomiting. If you notice any of these signs in addition to bad breath, it’s important to have your dog seen by a vet right away.
Just like humans, canines have a microbiome in their gut. This microbiome is made up of good and bad bacteria, and it’s important for maintaining a healthy digestive system. However, an imbalance in the microbiome can lead to digestive problems, which can in turn cause bad breath.
Additionally, gut health problems can also lead to nutrient deficiencies. This can cause a dog’s breath to smell bad because their body isn’t getting the nourishment it needs.
In some cases, bad breath in dogs can be caused by tumours. Oral tumours in particular can cause bad breath, as well as difficulties eating and drinking. This happens at a stage when necrosis begins to set in, which is when cells start to die and decay.
Necrosis can also cause an abscess, which is a buildup of pus. If you notice your dog’s breath smells particularly bad and they’re also drooling more than usual, it’s important to have them seen by a vet right away.
How to treat dog bad breath at home
Now that you know some of the probable causes, let’s look at which ones of these can be helped with home remedies.
While you cannot fix existing dental problems at home, you can help to prevent them from getting worse. This is done by brushing your dog’s teeth regularly with a canine toothpaste. It’s important to use a toothpaste that is specifically made for dogs, as human toothpaste can be harmful to them.
Additionally, you should know how to brush your dog’s teeth without hurting them. The best way to do this is to start slowly and gradually increase the amount of time you spend brushing their teeth.
The AKC recommends that you brush your dog’s teeth at least three times a week. The ideal way is to hold their bottom jaw with one hand and brush the teeth with the other. It takes some practice. But once you and your pet get used to it, it will become a breeze.
Believe it or not, there are dental health supplements available for dogs. These supplements usually come in the form of a chewable treat and contain ingredients that help to reduce plaque and tartar buildup.
But that’s not all. Many doggie dental health supplements these days, like Fresh Breathies, are designed to fix digestive problems too. Fresh Breathies, by Pup Labs are a godsend for pet parents struggling with bad breath, inflammation and age-related health issues in canines.
Here’s our detailed review of Fresh Breathies.
Fresh Breathies – #1 selling canine supplement for bad breath in dogs
Fresh Breathies is an international bestselling canine supplement that tackles multiple, intertwined problems in dogs – bad breath, inflammation, and age-related health issues.
The brainchild of PupLabs, a US based start-up, this supplement has helped thousands of dogs across the globe get rid of bad breath.
It is made in an NASC approved lab with 100% natural ingredients and comes with a 180-day money back guarantee. This means, in the rare case that your dog doesn’t like it or if it doesn’t work for them, you can get a full refund of your purchase price.
How does Fresh Breathies work?
Fresh Breathies helps to fix some of the common causes of bad breath in dogs – inflammation, gut health problems and nutrient deficiencies. It does this by using a unique blend of ingredients that have been clinically proven to be effective for these issues in dogs.
Here are some of the ways in which it can help reduce bad breath for your pet.
Improve gut microbiome
Fresh Breathies contain Champignon mushroom extract, which is a natural prebiotic. This means that it helps to improve the gut microbiome by providing food for the good bacteria in the gut. Also, these mushrooms contain several phytonutrients and natural antibiotics, which help to keep the bad bacteria in check.
This is important because gut health has a direct impact on oral health. A healthy gut means a healthy mouth and vice versa.
Fresh breathies also contain Yucca Schidigera, or Spanish dagger, a flowering plant that is native to the deserts of North America. This ingredient has been traditionally used as a folk remedy for bad breath.
In pets, it helps to reduce poop odour by as much as 26%. So, its no surprise that it can help to reduce bad breath caused by poor gut health.
Energizes your pet
Regardless of which one of these is causing the bad breath in your pet, it will have an impact on their overall energy levels. Fresh Breathies can help to increase energy levels by providing a host of nutrients that are essential for good health.
These include vitamins, minerals as well as herbal extracts that help reduce inflammation in the joints, protect against cardiovascular disease and improve cognitive function.
Age related decline
Bad breath is commoner in senior dogs because their immunity starts to decline with age. This leads to a build-up of plaque and tartar on their teeth, as well as gum disease. That’s not all. With time, their dental health starts to impact their overall health too.
Their gut health for instance begins to suffer. This is where Fresh Breathies can help. The ingredients in this supplement have been shown to improve age-related decline in dogs. From fortifying bones to improving cognitive function, this supplement does it all.
Fresh Breathies Ingredients
Fresh Breathies is a combination of five different ingredients –
- Champignon mushrooms – These are a natural prebiotic and help to improve gut health. They also contain antioxidants and help to fight inflammation in the gut. The natural antimicrobial properties help to neutralize bad bacteria in the dog’s gut, keeping them healthier and their breath fresh.
- Parsley – This herb is a natural breath freshener and also contains chlorophyll, which helps to detoxify the body. Parsley is also wonderful for the dog’s bones and joints, as it is full of vitamins and minerals.
- Spirulina – Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is packed full of nutrients. It is an excellent source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Spirulina also contains chlorophyll as well as Omega-3 fatty acids, both of which help to improve the dog’s coat and skin health.
- Cinnamon – This naturally occurring spice is not only delicious but also has many health benefits. Cinnamon is a great source of antioxidants and also helps to regulate blood sugar levels in dogs. It also protects their heart, keeping them healthy and their breath fresh.
- Yucca Schidigera – This ingredient comes from the Yucca plant and has natural properties that help to reduce inflammation in dogs. It also helps to reduce odour-causing bacteria in the gut, keeping the dog’s breath fresh.
These five ingredients work together to create a powerful formula that not only freshens your dog’s breath but also helps to improve their overall health.
How long does it take for Fresh Breathies to work?
The recommended dosage of Fresh Breathies is one chew for a dog under 50 lbs. The chews are soft and naturally flavoured. So, even fussy dogs will enjoy them. For best results, give your dog a chew daily. You will start to see a difference in their breath within 30-days.
That said, bad breath is a highly individualized issue. Some dogs will see results within days while others may take a few weeks or even months to notice a difference.
That’s why it’s important to be patient. Your dog’s age, severity of the bad breath, and underlying health issues can all play a role in how long it takes for Fresh Breathies to work.
If you don’t see a difference in your dog’s breath after 30-days, we recommend trying it for another month. You are anyway covered by an industry-leading 6-month guarantee.
Fresh Breathies Cost
Fresh Breathies are currently available at an inaugural price of $49 for a jar, that’s a 30-day supply. If you buy a 3-month supply, the price drops down to $39 per jar and if you buy a 6-month supply, it’s just $29 per jar.
That’s great value. Imagine finding an all-natural, vet-formulated supplement that not only freshens your dog’s breath but also improves their gut health, helps with allergies, and makes their coat shine.
One chew a day is as good as any home-based remedy. In fact, with the 6-months guarantee to back you up with, you are not wasting your money but investing in your dog’s health.
Should you buy Fresh Breathies for your pet?
There are certain scenarios that Fresh Breathies are ideal for and will give you the best results.
- Your dog has chronic bad breath that doesn’t seem to be going away with brushing, dental chews, or home-remedies.
- Your dog is prone to tartar build-up and you want to prevent it before it becomes a problem.
- Your dog has consistent digestive issues that might be causing their bad breath.
- Your dog’s poop smells really bad, and you want to find a way to reduce the odour.
- You are looking for a general health supplement for your aging dog, which also happens to freshen their breath.
- You want to be proactive about your dog’s oral health and not wait for a problem to arise.
If any of these scenarios resonate with you, then we recommend trying Fresh Breathies.
That said, Fresh Breathies may not be the ideal home remedy if:
- Your dog’s bad breath is caused due to an underlying health issue like diabetes, kidney disease, or liver disease. In such cases, we recommend taking your dog to the vet for a check-up.
- Your dog has existing dental problems like plaque, tartar, or gingivitis. In such cases, we recommend taking your dog to the vet for a dental cleaning.
- Your dog has an oral tumour or any other growth in their mouth. In such cases, we recommend taking your dog to the vet for a check-up.
But unless there’s a serious underlying health issue, we believe that Fresh Breathies is the best home remedy for bad dog breath.
How to get rid of dog bad breath home remedies – Fresh Breathies to the rescue
So, if you’re looking for a safe, all-natural, and effective way to get rid of your dog’s bad breath, we recommend trying Fresh Breathies. Here’s a summary of why it’s our #1 pick:
- It’s an all-natural supplement made with breath-freshening ingredients like cinnamon, parsley, and spirulina.
- It’s vet-formulated and safe for all dogs over the age of 12 weeks.
- It’s contains ingredients that are clinically proven to freshen your dog’s breath and improve their overall oral health.
- It comes with a 6-month money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
- It contains no harmful chemicals, fillers, or artificial ingredients.
- It’s just one naturally flavoured chew per day. This makes it easy to administer too. Most dogs love the taste and will be more than happy to eat it.
The Bottom Line
Canine bad breath can be embarrassing for you and frustrating for your dog. It can be a sign of an underlying health issue or simply due to poor oral hygiene. Whatever the reason, it’s important to take action and find a way to get rid of it.
In case of a serious underlying health issue, there’s no substitute for prompt and professional veterinary care. But in most other cases, we recommend trying Fresh Breathies. It’s an all-natural supplement that’s safe for all dogs.
It’s also better than throwing a bunch of home remedies at the dog and hoping something sticks. Try it out today and let us know how it goes in the comments below!