From finances to social media, apps have become essential for our everyday lives. Not sure about that? Let’s talk numbers: according to the software team TechJury just as of 2020, the average user had around 40 apps installed on their cell phone. With growing demand, it’s no secret that digitalization is key for businesses striving to make it in today’s market. As technology has taken over, new challenges regarding how to make the switch to the digital world a reality arise. That’s where mobile development services come along to turn any idea into a functional and engaging platform.
What does mobile development consist of?
Before tackling which mobile development services can shape your app design, let’s dive into the behind-the-scenes process. Overall, mobile development refers to the stages involved in designing and creating software for hand-held devices like smartphones or tablets. Like websites, this involves software development, however, its main difference centers around the device’s particular features like the sensors or camera.
Is mobile development better for a business than web development? Here are 3 distinctions:
1. Accessibility. As native mobile apps are designed for specific devices, they need to be downloaded through a store to be installed.
Meanwhile, web apps can be accessed online with just an Internet browser without previous installation. This, however, brings us to the next point.
2. Security. Mobile apps need to be submitted, reviewed, and approved by the platform, therefore ensuring a safe experience for users.
Web apps don’t guarantee safety regarding security threats as private information can be unencrypted or sent to a third party.
3. Functionality. While for some users it may look similar, mobile apps often provide high functionality as they take advantage of the device’s operating system resources.
Moreover, features like the GPS, calendar, speed, and fingerprint sensor make for a unique and simple —yet engaging— experience.
Who oversees mobile app development?
Essentially, a mobile developer is the tech professional in charge of building user-friendly apps for these devices. This is possible due to their skills and technical knowledge in programming languages like Java, Kotlin, Swift, and Objective C.
However, as the app’s lifecycle consists of various stages regarding its conceptualization, design, and release, developers work alongside an internal IT team. From roles like project managers to UX designers, each peer has specific tasks and responsibilities regarding both technical and non-technical areas. Nevertheless, the main goal stands equal: to deliver a high-quality, accessible, and functional mobile app.
Specifically speaking, some of the mobile developer’s key responsibilities consist of the following:
- Design new functional features for a better user experience.
- Review and enhance already existing code.
- Understand UI design principles.
- Translate the client’s requirements into customized platforms.
What mobile platforms can be found in today’s market?
Today’s most well-known mobile platforms are iOS (Apple) and Android (Google). Running apps on smartphones and other hand-held devices wouldn’t be possible without the mobile operating system (OS).
Noted, while its development process differs, tech experts can certainly target various platforms using specific software toolkits. Now, are these the only existent OS available? Of course not! In the past, operating systems included Bada (Samsung) and Symbian (Nokia), but nowadays other mobile devices employ the following:
- BlackBerry OS.
- Windows Phone.
- Tizen OS.
3 reasons why your business needs a mobile app
- Reach a new potential market. According to Statista, as of 2021, around 1.43 billion smartphones were sold all over the world. With an increasing user rate, this is the opportunity to expand your customer base through an accessible and engaging platform. When strategized correctly, this turns into leads and revenue.
- Engage with customers. Sharing valuable content helps build a community of loyal clients through a more direct stream of communication with the brand. With features like in-app messages, the idea is to allow users to actively seek the platform while enjoying the experience.
- Build your brand’s identity. Whether it’s for financial services, retail, or entertainment, mobile apps cater the business needs through a modern approach. Functionality meeting design allows the brand to highlight its visual elements and value to a wider audience.
I need a mobile app for my business…what to do now?
For many, the idea of not being tech-savvy makes them think it’s not possible to successfully switch to the digital world. However, turning your business’s app idea into reality is possible with the right IT team.
When it comes to mobile application development services, finding the perfect company for your business may seem like a challenge. Don’t worry, as there are plenty of talented STEM professionals who understand your vision.
Here are a few options to keep in mind when you don’t want to build an in-house team from scratch:
- Freelance mobile developers.
- External IT consulting companies.
- Global technology companies.
Now, depending on the company and the type of mobile application development services they offer, this may include the following:
- Software testing.
- Minimum viable product (MVP) development.
- App maintenance, support, and optimization.
- Consulting services.
- UI/UX design.
With the right tech team, creating the best mobile app for your business is possible.